Policeman sets self a blaze after being evicted by wife

Kanungu Police are investigating circumstances under which a Police constable set self a blaze to death.

Lovis Abeireho, a resident of Nyakatare in Western ward in Kanungu town council, reportedly doused himself with petrol and set himself ablaze around 6 am this morning after being ejected by his wife from their rented premises following a domestic row.  

Residents tried to save him by putting off the fire and rushing him to Kanungu Health Center IV, which referred him to Mbarara Regional Referral Hospital but he breathed his last in Kambugu while in transit.

 Abeireho sustained severe burns on the head and upper abdomen.  Davis Orishaba, an eye witness, says the deceased bought petrol from JAPS pump fuel station, which he used to set himself ablaze near his home opposite centenary bank in Kanungu town.  

According to Orishaba, the deceased looked possessed, saying no right-thinking person can set himself ablaze.  Elly Maate, the Kigezi Region Police Spokesperson has condemned the incident, saying all married couples get misunderstandings but should learn to address their problems through the authorities. 

In an earlier interview with this reporter on his sickbed at Kanungu Health Center, Abeireho said his aim was to burn his wife and commit suicide but found that she hadn’t opened the door.

“I wanted to die, how can I fail to die, I can’t stay alive. This life is not worth,” he kept crying. Our reporter was unable to speak to his wife to get her side of the story to understand what could have pushed the constable to end his life.

Abeireho is not the first person to commit suicide by burning. In June last year, Hussein Walugembe, a Boda boda rider torched himself to death inside Masaka central police station to protest police’s failure to release his impounded motorbike.   

Walugembe, who used to operate around Buddu Shell fuel pump station stage reportedly, doused his body with petrol he had carried in a mineral water bottle concealed in his jacket before setting himself ablaze.  

The rider had gone to the police station to follow up on his motorcycle registration number UEF 145L that had been impounded over flouting curfew guidelines. Walugembe’s friend, Agnes Namubiru told journalists to back then that the deceased had decided to torch himself after failing to raise a bribe of Shillings 100,000 demanded by the cops to release his motorbike.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *