Nigerian stars Omah Lay, Tems and co accused charged, remanded to Kitalya

After spending a night at Natete Police Station, Nigerian musicians Omah Didia alias Omah Lay and Temilade Openiyi alias Tems along 5 others have today (Monday) appeared before Makindye Magistrates Court were they have been charged with negligently doing acts likely to spread an infectious diseases which is contrary to section 171 of Uganda’s Penal Code Act before being remanded to Kitalya prison till Wednesday 16.12.20.

Presiding magistrate, Mr Judi Okumi denied the accused bail on grounds that they didn’t present substantial sureties

“You have a right to bail but your sureties are not substantial. Go and first prepare. However, you’re remanded until December 16,” he said.

The accused Omah lay and Tems who were remanded to Kigo prison and their co accused to kitalya prison will appear before the High Court through video conferencing.

Omay Lay, and Temilade Openyi alias Tems along, Muyiwa Awomiyi (Temilade’s manager), Benjamin Kabura (organiser), Ivan Ddungu, the manager of the place where the concert was held, and Prim Kasana, the event manager, who contracted Omah Lay to sing were arrested on Sunday afternoon as they planned to leave Uganda after performing at Ddungu Resort in Munyonyo. Police officers; L/AIP Fabiano Juma, No.51328 PC John Bosco Ocaba and No.67898 PC Paul Odongo who guarded the singers at the event were also detained.

Temilade Openyi alias Tems (R) stands before the Makindye magistrates court along with other accused on Monday. Photo Courtesy/ Nicholas Bamulanzeki

It is alleged that the organizers of the concert first held lunch and dinner events, but later on at night they started inviting artistes to perform.

 Uganda police said the earlier plans of releasing the three Nigerians who were jointly charged with four other Ugandan’s on police bond, were suspended after their case file was sanctioned by the Office of the DPP.

Earlier in the day Kampala Metropolitan Police spokesperson Luke Owoyesigire said there was a delay to take the accused to courts of law since they had not yet recorded statements waiting for their lawyers.

Police said the concert held in the middle of a pandemic was illegal and the police officers who manned the event were also apprehended.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *