Detained Nicholas Opiyo was investigating security killings during riots says Bobi Wine

National Unity Platform (NUP) presidential aspirant Robert kyagulanyi aka Bobi Wine has revealed that arrested human rights lawyer Nicholas Opiyo was part of a team of human rights advocates that were investigating circumstances that led to the shooting dead of over 45 people across the country in the Free Bobi Wine riots recently by security operatives.

“Distinguished human rights lawyer Nicholas Opiyo has been abducted from a restaurant in Kamwokya. He was abducted with other human rights lawyers who are involved in investigating and collecting evidence of the murders that occurred between 18th and 19th November, 2020 by security. According to eye witnesses, they were thrown into a van with tinted glasses, bearing private number plates” he wrote.

“At this point, we suspect that their abduction is intended to frustrate the ongoing investigation of gross human rights abuses. Our legal teams have embarked on the process of establishing their whereabouts. The regime is in total panic. And yes, the empire is crumbling” Mr Kyagulanyi added.

Detained Human Rights lawyer Nicholas Opiyo (M) shares a light moment with NUP’s Robert Kyagulanyi aka Bobi wine and wife Barbie kyagulanyi in the past. Photo/Courtesy

David Lewis Rubongoya the NUP secretary general condemned the security operative’s arrest of the renown Human rights lawyer Opiyo who also represents the NGOs whose accounts were blocked by security last week..

“The arrest of distinguished human rights lawyer, Nicholas Opiyo, together with other lawyers is testament of an increased attack on human rights in this country. We must stop at nothing until dignity and the rule of law are restored” he said.

However on Tuesday evening the Uganda Police through their twitter handle confirmed the arrest of Nicholas Opiyo.

“We would like to confirm the arrest of Lawyer @nickopiyo, by a Joint Task team of Security and Financial Intelligence, on allegations of money laundering and related malicious acts” Police tweeted.

“The investigations are progressing well and any new developments will be communicated in due course. He remains in our custody at the Special Investigations Division” the police added in another tweet.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *